Monday, August 11, 2008

Hey, Mr. Edsel (and everyone else), it's Dave. For those of you who don't know, I think I'm related to Mr. Edsel, as much as I hate to admit it. It runs in the family, what can I say. Speaking of which, "it runs in the family" is one of the idioms we're teaching in our classes. We've been having great fun teaching these classes and dialoging with the students. They catch on quickly and seem to be enjoying themselves. We have been learning things along with them, like not to follow words like "ship" with "sit." The results can be a bit embarrassing, just ask Brook.

It's about 6:30 p.m. here on Monday. I'm in the computer lab with Brook and Joe. Rachel and Grace are home helping Becca Bunnell with chores and babysitting. They trade off with Joe every other day in coming to the center or staying home.

This weekend was very interesting as we visited the Mother Tree on Saturday. It was especially interesting for me from a pest control standpoint: all those pigeons--what a mess! And I wonder what comes out and night and eats up all the food left there. As an Arborist, I was appalled at the conditions the poor trees were subjected to: literally thousands of pounds of junk hung all over them, the soil compacted hard as a rock and the roots worn down and bare. Not to mention the acid conditions when it rains and all that tea turning into, well, tea. As a follower of Jesus, I was saddened by the darkness and oppression of these people and their animistic practices: worshipping the creation rather than the Creator.

Sunday, at the lake, I wondered how much water I could swallow and not get Giardia given that this is a watering hole for thousands of livestock. So I tried not to swallow. Later, I pictured the Mongolian Church gathering here for baptisms. Please pray for that to happen soon. Oh, and Mark, sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm the one who hung the wire cross on the tree.

Food here has been interesting and good. Much of it comes from China, except our bottled water. It's from Mongolia. Some of the slogans on the bottles include "Voyage Mineral Water: Much better taste than others" (as long as it's better than some, I suppose it's good enough) or "APU Natural Mineral Water: Pure ground water of Bogd Khan mountain formed 800 thousand years ago." Leftover communist propaganda, I guess. The "Voyage" water says, "To be stored 6 months." Hmmm, aged nicely, I see. So you can see there is a need for proper English instruction here.

I guess that's it for now. Ruthi, I love you and miss you and all of our 14 children. I hope the business is going well. Maybe you could check on that for me.

Love to all,
Dave

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course! Mr. Edsel is Uncle Bots...that makes total sense! I'll let D and G know so they don't think there is a weird stalker that knows our family! I'm curious what the Mongolians think of Rachel since she looks so Asian. Ans are they surprise that she has such a fair Daddy. It sounds like you are making in roads with the Mongolians, so we'll keep praying for openness and fruit before you have to leave.
Luke Everett from Rancho Sordo Mudo spoke in church yesterday and was so inspiring. I bought his book and got the CD for anyone who wants to listen to him. We ought to take our youth group down there! He speaks of just accepting the circumstances that God presents to you, in faith, that He has a greater plan. Unfortunately, we learn the most through pain, so we need to trust and obey (for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus...).
We all miss you terribly and are anxious for your return and yet are excited to hear of God moving in Mongolia.
Love to you!
Ruthi

Mr. Edsel said...

Yes, I say Uncle Bots is da guy...you guessed it. I thought my accent would throw you off...and my articulate flare. Oh well, Davy is making big messes with JoJo all over the house...I think I will have to introduce them to Mr. Edsel.

Anonymous said...

Whew! We made it to Washington. I was very eager to get on the computer and check on all of you. It was great to hear such news of your trip. All seems well. I am looking forward to all of the pictures and details. We are still praying for you and everyone over there.

We really miss you Brooklin, you are a joy to this family.

Lots of love,
Mom, Kasey, Keliann, Morgan and Matthew

Anonymous said...

By the way, what 14 children? Are you including employees and/or pets?